Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Trigger Warning

       I first ran across the term "Trigger Warning" as a Neil Gaiman title. He explained that a trigger warning is used by an author to warn the reader that they might find something offensive within the piece. I like this idea. I am never trying to offend anyone, but I am opinionated and quite prone to rants. Like anyone else I want to elaborate on things that I feel passionate about. The problem is that when we are passionate the head doesn't always rule. I want all of the facts, but quite often my mind is made up before I have all available facts.
     I am working on such a rant, but rants do go off subject quite often. My rants are forever rambling in the low parts of my mind. I think sharing these things does quite often alleviate some of our difficulty. We sort through anger, embarrassment, and judgement. The simple act of reflection means that the level of immediacy is somewhat dissipated.  Socrates said that the unexamined life wasn't worth living. The over-examined life is almost as unpleasant. To debate over every word spoils the fun. Maybe everyone should be given a trigger warning. I think that I need a dozen t-shirts that simply say, "I'm opinionated, beware."

No comments:

Post a Comment