Saturday, May 14, 2016

Who are you when the spider crawls?

      Who are you when you see a spider crawling somewhere unexpected? I turn into this evil person who wants nothing more than death and destruction. I am normally a very calm and cool individual, and mindful of all creatures, but the sight of an unexpected mouse or spider turns my heart into something which resembles Pinhead from the Hell-raiser series. There is a sick twist in my heart when I see a spider on the log that I am about to feed into the fire or to send down the drain with a rinse of scalding hot water. A small amount of acknowledged joy goes into ending the life of a vile creature. I blame my father for this. One of my jobs when I was younger was picking the bush beans. My father used to take all of the daddy long-legs he could find in the yard and put them into the bush beans in order to cut down on the harmful insects. I hated picking those beans and feeling the tickle on the back of my leg. I enjoy walking up and seeing a spider on his web. They're incredible hunters and I have let some live on my porch for weeks. I know they're there! That is the difference! It's the one that just crawled out from something that I handled that bothers me. Now tell me you don't do the spider dance.
     Maybe tomorrow we'll look at this from the spiders point of view, but I doubt that I can muster up enough sympathy to do it justice.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment